Traditional Greek Kourou Pie
Explore how you can make your own homemade Bougatsa Cheese at home, easily and quickly!
Tyropita Kourou is a cheese pie made with a type of phyllo which I would describe somewhat like tart dough. The basic kourou phyllo is made with butter, Greek yoghurt, flour and salt. However, you can also add an egg to the dough, in which case more flour is added to the dough. The filling is usually made only with feta. However, a mixture of other cheese like anthotyro, xynomyzithra or goat cheese takes it to another level. If your cheese tastes good, then your tyropita will be perfect.
Ingredients you will need for the kourou dough:
- 130g butter
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg
- 210g all-purpose flour
- 70g semolina
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
Ingredients you will need for the filling:
- 200g parmesan cheese
- 200g feta cheese
- 100g cream cheese
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) oregano, finely chopped
- Beat the butter and sugar in a mixer, using the whisk attachment until light and fluffy.
- Lightly whisk the first egg in a small bowl. For the second egg, separate the yolk from the white in separate bowls.
- Add the salt to the butter and sugar mixture and gradually add the whisked egg and the yolk from the second egg and beat until incorporated. Set the egg white aside until needed.
- Remove mixer’s bowl from stand and add the flour, semolina and baking powder.
- Begin stirring with a wooden spoon until it becomes thick and difficult to stir. Then start kneading with your hands to create a nice dough.
- When ready, wrap kourou dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour to chill.
- When it is completely chilled, prepare the filling.
- Preheat oven to 190* C (374* F) Fan.
- Grease a 20 cm spring form pan with butter.
- Grate all of the cheeses, apart from the feta, using the large blades of the cheese grater. Crumble the feta with your hands.
- In a bowl, add all of the cheese, cream cheese, herbs and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly. If the types of cheese we are using are not salty enough, add some salt to taste.
- Set the filling aside and prepare the dough.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Dust your working surface with flour and roll out the first half of the dough.
- Spread it on to the bottom and sides of the spring form pan, allowing the ends of the dough to hang over the edges.
- Add the filling and fold the overhanging dough inwards.
- Roll out the second half of the dough, making sure it is slightly larger than the first one because you want to create folds on the surface.
- Cover the filling and gently work with the dough to create nice pleats or folds.
- Brush with the reserved egg whites and sprinkle with some cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden.
- You Kourou pie is ready to eat!