Traditional Leek Pie
Explore how you can make your own homemade Bougatsa Cheese at home, easily and quickly!
There is nothing better than the smell of a freshly baked homemade pie! Sumptuous savoury pies are a staple in Greek cooking. Savoury pies are suitable for every time of the day, as a main dish, starter or mid-day snack. This is a traditional Greek recipe for a vegan leek pie (prasopita) for you to recreate this delicious traditional delight from scratch.
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 kilo leeks
- 2 onions
- 4 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 3 stick(s) celery
- 1 clove(s) of garlic
- 3 spring onions
- 1/2 bunch mint
- 1/2 bunch dill
- lemon zest, of 1 lemon
- lemon juice, of 1/2 lemon
- 700g phyllo dough sheets
- 100g olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 160* C (320* F) Fan.
- Place a pot full of water over high heat. Add salt and bring to a boil.
- Chop the leeks into 1-2 cm rounds and add them to the pan.
- Let them boil for 2-3 minutes to remove the bitter taste that comes from the green part of the leeks
- Drain and place the same pan over high heat. Let it get hot.
- Coarsely chop the onions.
- Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil to the hot pan. Add the onions and leeks and sauté.
- Chop the celery into rounds, mince the garlic and add both to the pan.
- Season with salt, mix often and sauté for 10-15 minutes, until they caramelize nicely.
- When ready, transfer vegetables to a bowl.
- Finely chop the spring onions and add them to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Finely chop the mint and dill and add them to the bowl.
- Add the pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice.
- Mix until all of the ingredients are completely combined.
- Brush a 25×35 cm baking pan with olive oil.
- Spread a sheet of phyllo dough in the baking pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Spread another 2 sheets of phyllo in a crisscross manner and drizzle with olive oil.
- Spread another sheet of phyllo in the same manner as you did the first sheet.
- Spread the filling over the sheets and cover with 4 sheets of phyllo dough in the same way as you did the previous ones.
- The ends of the sheets of phyllo should be hanging over the edge of the baking pan. Turn the edges inward to create the pie’s border.
- Using a knife, score the surface of the pie into 12 pieces.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours.
- When ready, remove from oven, allow to cool and serve.
- Enjoy your delicious leek pie!