Traditional Greek Kataifi
Explore how you can make your own homemade Kataifi at home, easily and quickly!
Golden, crispy and amazingly moist, Kataifi is a delicious dessert which like Baklavas is very popular in Greece. Simply amazing! The key for the most flavourful homemade Kataifi is to use good quality fresh butter for buttering. Crispy Kataifi complemented by thick honey syrup to accomplish a delicious syrup sweet. Always ladle really slowly the cold syrup over the hot Kataifi, enabling each ladle to be absorbed, so that the syrup is absorbed evenly. Even though it will be really hard, you should wait for the Kataifi to cool down for a while before serving.
Ingredients you will need for the syrup:
- 330g water
- 450g granulated sugar
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- Peels of 1 orange
Ingredients you will need for the Kataifi:
- 120g walnuts
- 120g pistachios
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 of a teaspoon of cloves
- 500g shredded phyllo dough
- 400g butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 150*C (300*F) Fan.
- Place a pot over high heat.
- Add the water, sugar, cinnamon and orange rind. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- When ready, remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Beat the walnuts in a food processor to chop up just a little. Do not finely grind. Transfer to a bowl.
- To the food processor, add the pistachio nuts, cinnamon and cloves. Beat to combine and break up the pistachio nuts just a bit. Transfer to the bowl along with the walnuts.
- Next, untangle the shredded phyllo dough with your fingers for about 5 minutes. Spread it apart and fluff it up making sure there are no knots.
- Divide it in to 3 equal parts. Cover 2 parts with a moist towel to keep them fresh and moist or else they will dry out and break up when you try to work with them.
- Divide the part set aside in to 7 equal parts.
- Spread each part out on a clean working surface in the shape of a nest.
- Melt the butter and drizzle all over the phyllo.
- Add a spoonful of the filling in the center and shape in to a roll.
- Transfer to a well-greased baking pan, making sure to leave enough space between each roll.
- Drizzle with some more melted butter.
- Repeat the same process with the other 2 parts of shredded phyllo dough that have been set aside.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours, until golden and crunchy.
- When ready, remove from oven and pour the cool syrup over each roll while it they are still very hot.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until all of the syrup has been soaked up.
- Enjoy the amazing Kataifi you just made!