Traditional Greek Revani
Explore how you can make your own homemade Revani at home, easily and quickly!
Revani is a classic Greek dessert made from semolina, sugar, and flour, with the additions of flavorings such as vanilla, lemon zest, or rose water, depending on the recipe variations. The cake is characterized by its overpowering sweetness, a result of soaking the cake in sugar syrup after it has been baked.
Ingredients you will need:
- 650g granulated sugar
- 600g water
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- Peels of 2 oranges
- 50g brandy
- 200g granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, medium
- 170g all-purpose flour
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 vanilla powder
- 20g baking powder
- 40g semolina, fine
- 1 pinch salt
- 200g strained yogurt
- Butter to use for the pan
- Semolina to use for the pan
Ingredients you will need to serve:
- Ice cream
- Orange peels
- Mint leaves
- Or whatever else you like!
- In a pot add the water, the sugar, the orange peels, and transfer over high heat.
- As soon as it comes to a boil and the sugar melts, remove from the heat and add the brandy.
- Preheat the oven 170C (340F) set to fan.
- In a mixer’s bowl add the sugar, the eggs, and beat with the whisk attachment at high speed, for 5-6 minutes, until very fluffy.
- In a bowl add the flour, the baking powder, the vanilla, the semolina, salt, and mix.
- Transfer the dry ingredients to the mixer with the rest of the ingredients, and add the orange zest and the yogurt. Beat for 10 seconds and remove.
- Butter a 32×25 cm baking pan, sprinkle it with semolina, and spread the mixture. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and while it is still hot, pour the cold syrup over the cake with a ladle.
- Set aside for 1 hour until the syrup is absorbed and the revani cooled.
- Serve and enjoy the amazing Revani you made on your own!