Traditional Greek Karidopita
Explore how you can make your own homemade Karidopita at home, easily and quickly!
Fluffy and extra syrupy! A mouthwatering Greek walnut cake recipe, scented with the aromas and blends of cinnamon and grounded clove. This is the traditional Greek walnut cake recipe which calls for galeta (powdered breadcrumbs) instead of flour and is infused with a cinnamon flavoured syrup.
Ingredients you will need for the syrup:
- 800g granulated sugar
- 800g water
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- Peel of 1 lemon
Ingredients you will need for the walnut pie:
- 250g butter, at room temperature
- 200g granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 360g hard flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon of cloves
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 120g milk
- Butter to use for the pan
- All-purpose flour to use for the pan
- In a pot add the sugar, the water, the cinnamon, and the lemon peels.
- Transfer over medium heat and let it come to a boil until the sugar melts.
- Preheat the oven to 170ο C (340ο F) set to fan.
- In a mixer’s bowl add the butter, the sugar, the vanilla, and beat with the whisk attachment at high speed, for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the flour, the eggs one by one, and keep beating. Wait for each egg to be incorporated before adding the next.
- In a blender add the walnuts, the cloves, the cinnamon, and beat so that the walnuts have the desired size and consistency that you want in your cake.
- Transfer the walnuts to a bowl and add the flour, the baking powder, and the salt.
- In a mixer’s bowl add the milk, the solid ingredients, and beat for 10 seconds.
- Butter and flour a 25×32 cm baking pan and spread your mixture in it. Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove and immediately pour the cold syrup over it, using a serving spoon.
- Allow 1 hour for the whole syrup to be absorbed, and serve your Karidopita with vanilla ice cream.
- Enjoy your delicious Karidopita!