Traditional Orange Spoon Sweet
Explore how you can make your own homemade Orange Spoon Sweet at home, easily and quickly!
Believe it or not, spoon sweets are very popular in Greece! Enjoy this by the spoonful as a snack, dessert, or dessert topping.
Ingredients you will need:
- 2 kilos oranges
- 800g granulated sugar
- 800g water
- 1 tablespoon of glucose
- 2 star anises
- 2 pods of cardamom
- Lemon juice of 1 lemon
Ingredients you will need to serve:
- Strained yogurt
- Remove the zest of the oranges and add it to a bowl. You can add 80 g brandy and 2 tablespoons sugar, and use it as orange extract. Store it in the refrigerator, sealed in a jar.
- Cut the top and bottom ends of the oranges and then score the rind all around the orange. Carefully remove the peels, wrap them, and pierce them with a toothpick.
- Transfer the peels to a pot with boiling water and boil for 5 minutes to remove their bitterness. Drain the water and follow the same process -using clean water- for 1-2 more times, depending on the bitterness of the rind. If the peels take out too much color in the water, it means that they are quite bitter. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot add the sugar, the water, the glucose, the anise, the cardamom, the peels, and the oranges, and transfer over low heat. Boil for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice.
- Let it cool well. The more the syrup is cooling down, the more it will thicken.
- Serve with yogurt and rosemary. You can store it sealed airtight in a jar, in a cool and dry place.
- Enjoy the delicious Orange Spoon Sweet you have made!